Google+

Monday 20 October 2014

Battle – Elysian Drop Troops Vs Tau empire 1850

 

A game was played a few weekends ago, and I might be heading for some kind of record for games played in a year!

DSC_8857

We rolled up the mission and deployment, we got the relic hunt mission, with a single, movable objective worth 3 points, pretty much making it a purge the alien mission, but with an extra 3 pts on the table if you had the objective.

We went for quite a sparse terrain layout, it being a desert planet and all, and rolled the corners deployment you see above.

My opponent won the roll and chose the far edge in the picture, leaving me with the bottom right as pictured.

We used one of my old tiki head statues as the objective and placed it in the centre of the table amidst the wreckage of the vehicle that was presumably transporting it.

       DSC_8860

DSC_8859

 

My Forces:

Elysian 93rd Recon Regiment,

Command squad with valk, bodyguards, sniper and hvy bolter, ground scanner and MoTF

Elysians vets with plasma and valkyrie with rocket pods

Elysians vets with Grenade launchers and valkyrie with rocket pods

Elysians vets with flamers and shotguns

3x lascannon tarantuals

3 drop sentinels with multimeltas

2 tauros venators with tllc

Vulture gunship with punishers

Avenger strike fighter

 

  DSC_8861

My Foe:

Shadowsun,

Commander with bodyguards, plasma rifles,

xv9 with fusion cascades

riptide

2x piranahs with fusion

a squad of kroot

two hammerheads

broadside

stealth team with fusion

DSC_8862

The deployment, I put down 1 valk with troops in it (the plasma) and the empty CC valk, along with the CC squad already in place – this turned out to be a mistake. I also deployed the venators into cover. everything else would deep strike.

 DSC_8864

My foe deployed his hammerheads and broadside, along with the devilfish and piranahs, he infiltrated the stealth team. in reserve were the xv9 and the riptide.

DSC_8865

Some of the opening moves, after I failed to seize, my opponent came for me, his piranah taking a hull point from the valk

 DSC_8867

His stealth team successfully splitting fire to hit my venator for a hull point, and decimate my CC squad with his burst cannon.

DSC_8868

Making good use of my orders, i responded by pinning the stealth team

DSC_8869

The avenger glanced a hammerhead into defeat.

DSC_8866

And the valkyrie deprived a piranha of a hull point, don't underestimate multilasers.

DSC_8870

The venators proved their worth by taking down the piranhas, but the opening exchanges were quite balanced.

DSC_8871

Once reserves started to appear, things started to turn, as the Motf held back the tau.

 

DSC_8872

Deep striking MM took some hull points from the second hammerhead

DSC_8873

and the veterans with shotguns and flamers took out the kroot in a single round of inspired shooting.

 DSC_8875

This hole had a deep striking riptide in it briefly.

DSC_8876

Tau fire warriors disembarked to shoot at deep striking tarantulas and sentinels who were pressing the attack.

DSC_8877

sentinels fell to the weight of pulse rifle fire.

 DSC_8879

veterans close in on the objective.

 DSC_8881 

The avenger strafed the enemy positions

 DSC_8883

The last Tau standing, sadly he didn't survive the drive-by.

 DSC_8885

wit victory close, the brave men of the 93rd close in on the relic tech.  DSC_8890

As the game drew to a close the last Tau unit standing took a punisher to the face. all I needed to wound was not to rolls 1’s

 DSC_8892

Yhatzee.

It was a very good game, but on reflection I may have over-tweaked the list, it was a little on the brutal side, but I also think part of that is that I've tailored the list to my preferred style, which is fast moving and mobile with a good amount of DSing units.

My opponent acquitted himself well, and if I'm honest about the only things I would have done differently in his shoes were to focus fire form the railguns until a target was dead, and to press the attack more with the troops and devilsih, there were some unlucky rolls on his part, and vice versa.

All in all though I was very happy with the list, and will certainly play it again mainly to see if this was a fluke, or if it will consistently perform this well.

10 comments:

  1. Nice game, whats your opinion on the venators? They seem really pricy to me for what you get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, you mean game piece, or model? cos they easily made their points back.
      Model wise, I think they are lovely, but then I like the whole Elysian look.

      Delete
  2. Cool to see the Elysians in action. The Avenger and Vulture are both on my shopping list for my regular mech-guard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a set up! The game looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing looking game - I'm super jealous of your Elysians as you know, but seeing them togther like this is just astonishing. Love the venators too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax, I will get some shots of the whole expeditionary force as soon as I finish the last few elements.

      Delete
  5. beautiful looking elysian army they look so fantastic as a whole force

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...