Google+

Monday 26 January 2015

Making and Casting 32mm Bases for Power Armour Models (Part 2)

In part 1 I went over creating the mold, so let’s have a look at casting, and the results.

So first things first, lets extract the originals from the mold – start by loosening the edges, and then lift and peel back a corner.

DSC_8995

It has good tear strength, but this will of course depend on the thickness of the mold, I made this one quite thin, but its still good.

DSC_8996

The finished mold.

DSC_8997

For casting I always use a board, and make sure I have somewhere level to set it to cure.

DSC_8998

Using Sylmasta products again (no, I’m not being paid by them ;) ) Mixing A and B in the specified proportions, and then quickly pouring into the mold.

DSC_8999

It needs to be thouroughly mixed, and yet you do have to work with some alacrity.

DSC_9000

It takes about 40 seconds to start to cure after I pour, and you can see here the reaction beginning from the centre out.

DSC_9001

Full cure in about 30 mins – you can see on the end there one that isn't properly cured in the middle as I had to make another few ml to complete the mold and I mixed it in haste and didn't get a smooth pour. it wont however matter as this is the bottom of the base.

DSC_9002

First pull.

And the results, here you see the mold, the originals and the casts.

 DSC_9004 

And here you can see a mix of casts and originals. good enough for me.

DSC_9047

Hope that was of use to you, happy to answer any questions below.

12 comments:

  1. This is craziness. Well done sir! I would have never thought to do something like this....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it may not have been wise (cost effective/time effective)
      But.. Ive got a base STC now, so yeah :)

      Delete
  2. They look OK, seem to sit flat etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that they do, working quite well. its got to the point I have to turn them over to know which are the casts :)

      Delete
  3. They certainly look the business to me, well done Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers sir. once you have the stuff it's not that much effort to make a duplication process work :_)

      Delete
  4. Look good to me! These are the types of things I'd never think of either. I swear the stuff you learn on blogs boggles the mind. I don't think I've gone a single day without another feather in my toolkit. I probably look like this lady.
    http://www.whykawaii.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Labyrinth-Junk-Lady-400x600.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just amazing!


    I'm getting ideas over here...

    ...What was the cost, would you say, of the materials you used for this project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't kept track, but let's see if I can give you an idea..

      about three years ago I bought a casting kit from Sylmasta, it was about 35 quid and over the years ive made a good few molds of small parts and items I had made and wanted more of, and i have had to buy a second batch of the mold making rubber - I am still on my original resins tho.

      The rubber I used for this, one of the larger molds ive made was not even the 10th part of the tub, and the resin even less. so were I to guestimate a cost, - I'd say less than 4 quid.

      Of course I still would suggest laying out for the casting kit to start with as you get everything you need, but its not prohibitive - and its less than you'd pay for even 3rd party bases, with the advantage that I can now make more at even reduced cost- eventually the mold will degrade but for the quantities I use I haven't had that happen yet.

      Delete
  6. Amazing what you can do with what looks like a cup of orange juice and a cup of bitter mixed together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, exothermic reactions from epoxy polymer substances have fascinated me since I was eight and my dad put Han Solo's head back on with some araldite and a match.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...