Google+

Tuesday 23 June 2015

WWII U.S. Airborne Step by Step

 

A quick step by step on the way I painted the recently posted US Airborne as requested – I hold these up not as examples of how to make “awesume doods”, but a quick tabletop effective way to get a force together – I can do ten plus of these a day, probably twenty if I did bigger batches..

DSC_9510

I prime light grey- I want some desaturation, but I don't want them dark..

It gets pic heavy after the jump..

 

DSC_9511

For the uniform I use VMC US field drab as a base

 DSC_9513

This old pot for the leather parts.. historical pics suggest a redder leather was used but I liked the look of this colour

DSC_9514

Flesh, Andrea makes awesome flesh paints. I use first light as my base due to the wash to come.

DSC_9515

US dark green for the helmets and some bags/pouches

DSC_9516

Khaki grey as the base for the webbing and canvas bags/ammo slings

DSC_9518

Whatever colour you have on hand for gunmetal,. Reaper MS tarnished steel was used here

DSC_9519 

Different mini as Bestial brwon was used for the wood.. but grease guns had no wood…

DSC_9520

Middlestone for the bandage pack – they were a different colour it seems…

DSC_9521

this was just for my basing..

DSC_9522

then two colours get highlighted, the webbing gets a mix of middlestone and bleached bone applied and without a pic.. the uniform itself gets US field drab with middlestone added as a highlight.

DSC_9524

bleached bone itself is used for any rope.

DSC_9525

then the whole fig is given a controlled diluted (50/50) wash with strong tone.

DSC_9526

once dry, the flesh gets a 50/50 water/ogryn flesh

DSC_9527

and finally the eye.. (and on this guy some text/stripe on his smoker grenade)

DSC_9536

that’s it, very quick, but the look good on the table. eventually they'll get a matte varnish but not until I've slapped on some decals.  Decals will reflect mixed units as per D day scatter…

hope that was useful – if anyone uses this I'di’d love to hear how it went..

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you certainly made that look easy and a great result too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Michael. That's a great result, and your technique makes it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing...and yes: you make it look so damned easy!

    I will try to do my own version of this for my Brits when I next get around to painting them (I'm cuing-up some 40k stuff first...)

    PS: did you see my Brits yet?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...