Google+

Friday 8 August 2014

Astra Militarum Crew

DSC_8600

Eyed these models up several times in the past, thinking I might use them in a diorama, basically just wanting them because they looked like nice sculpts.

DSC_8601

Picked the up finally because I reasoned that I could use them as objectives, or even civillian/recce incidental characters, and I’m not sorry, they really are lovely.

DSC_8602

As someone who is primarily a painter, (and lets not forget before i go on here, a proficient 3D modeller) there is just something about the quality of the sculpts of the old hand sculpted models that the new digital sculpts haven't got to the level of yet.

DSC_8603

don't get me wrong, there some nice design work coming out of the new 3D process, but the feel, and the depth of sculpt and the tactile quality of the planes and nuance of the surfaces just isn't there.

Yet.

I’m sure we will get to a place where the 3D sculpts are just as good, but in the meantime, you owe it to yourself to pick up one or two of the old models and give them a paint :)

12 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more. Most CAD sculpts just seem to be lacking soul or depth. Far too clinical.

    Wished I'd picked up some of these guys back when I played. Saying that, I have an arseload of old GW metal that's sat staring at me with hate infused glares for my neglect of them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As someone who has seen the technology develop, and teaches 3D modelling it actually has me wondering how much is a limitation of the technology and how much is a limitation in the operators, we teach our students traditional sculpting as well to help their understanding, and if these guys haven't had that type of training it might explain some of the shortcomings in dynamism etc.

      of course there is no way to find out the answer to that as whenever i ask anything at open days about the process you come up against the "are you a competitor" suspicion and they wont answer you lol.

      Delete
  2. Yup - even I can pick up on such subtleties! A great choice of models, mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "even I" says the experienced and accomplished modeller who is now painting unit markings in 15mm.. :) thanks Drax :)

      Delete
  3. Agreed and your painting does them justice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colonel. these models were so nice they practically painted themselves :)

      Delete
  4. Ah - finally ninja'd by Ackland - thats what you get when you go away for a few days.

    Heartily agree on the hand sculpt v 3D stuff - particularly the early 3D stuff GW put out - very much simple shapes lacking soul.

    I have these two kicking around on a shelf somewhere - much the same reason - they were too cool not to find a use for somewhere.

    Nice work as always mate - well done picking out the glowing end of the cigar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Muppet, always count on your detail oriented self to notice something small :) cheers

      Delete
  5. These are wonderful additions to any collection and I love what you've done with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karitas,

    I've been following your blog for a few years and I was just wondering if you would be interested in joining the Wayland Games Affiliate Program?

    You deserve a little recognition for helping the world wide wargaming community with all your painting. And we can help you to fund your hobby.

    Please have a read and let me know what you think.
    http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/join-our-affiliate-scheme/info_14.html

    Any questions, just message me back.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...