Google+

Monday 1 September 2014

Avenger Strike Fighter

DSC_8760

Stunning model. and as the FW studio paint job fits with my forces, I decided to emulate it as best I could, I even went so far as to work out how they layered up the different decals for markings. – there are a few differences, but I think Id have to point them out for them to be noticeable.

DSC_8761

The wings are a tricky build as they are quite fragile, as is the tail, so experienced modellers only on this one I am afraid.

DSC_8762 DSC_8763 DSC_8764 DSC_8765

this is one of those models that looks okay in pictures, but really is something special in person, its fit with the other imperial flyers I have is decent too.

DSC_8766 DSC_8767

I frosted the cockpit a little more than usual with the dulcoat, but its also not as clear as GW canopies, its a cast clear resin which is unusual for a FW flier, they usually come with a resin canopy and a plastic insert. but the pilots are beautiful so I left the canopy unglued.

DSC_8768 DSC_8769 DSC_8770

I’m quite pleased with this, both with my matching of the original scheme and with the weathering.

Okay last flyer for a while, a thunderbolt to build for mr Zzzzzz and then we’ll see what follows :)

12 comments:

  1. You ever try to dip your canopy in floor polish? It's an old scale model trick, and you've got to get the right stuff, but it really does look good. The correct polish used to be sold as 'Future' in the States and 'Klear' in the UK. Now it's one of the Pledge floor polishes, but you have to be careful about which one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try brushing some on, as I use it often as a sealer, but yes, maybe a liberal dipping is in order :)

      Delete
  2. Looks great! Got 1 of these on its way to me as well! (But will be supporting my Mechanicum not my Elysians..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man, should look fierce in mechanicum colours.

      Delete
  3. Big fan of the weathering on this guy. Nice and proper grimmy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, at times felt like I was overdoing it, but it all came together and is about comparable to the FW version.

      Delete
  4. My god this is gorgeous. I want to get one for myself pretty badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can strongly recommend it, a pleasure to paint, and its a pretty effective model in game terms too.

      Delete
  5. That is beautiful, mate - just beautiful.

    How well do the wings support those engines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax - actually pretty well, the more fragile part for me was the tail sections which came apart during painting twice and has little to no room for pins.

      Delete
  6. Looks great! What paint did you use for the body?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...