Google+

Sunday 1 November 2009

Time and Energy


It’s been a while since my last post, and partly that’s down to being disheartened that I didn’t make it to GD, partly it’s a little burnout, I’ve painted four armies and build a lot of terrain in less than a year, in one of my earlier blog posts I added it up in painting points as was stunned by how much I’d done.
It’s also about time and energy. Without going into boring detail let’s just say work has been incredibly demanding the last few months, way more than it should be. But hopefully that will be resolved shortly. The time/energy equation should then have a little more room for Warhammer.
I’ve played a few games with my DH army, and have some observations to share, I’ve also bought armybuilder (what an ace package that is!) and have realised one error I had made.
So observations. Without using GK as I am, and with no allied WH, my army was entirely inquisitors and ISt’s and it did well the first few games, the melta gun-chimera tactic is solid, but a few things kept happening, my chimeras get popped and my troops don’t last long at all, especially considering their cost. A hangover of codex creep I assume.
I rectified this by allying in some guard, that got me a leman russ and some cheaper troops to help out and my force now felt much more successful. Until you realise its codex creep coming back in again and I’m essentially playing a guard army with some DH flavour. I didn’t want that, but I also don’t want to give up my leman russ, as the DH codex has pretty much no heavy in it at all.
So that’s where I was. I then tried something I wasn’t going to, a small (3 man) GK terminator team. They were okay, and it felt quite nice having a 2+ armour save on the field, even if the unit did get wiped out (bullet magnets)
Then comes the realisation, which prompts a change for me. In terms of allied guard, to save on miniatures I’d used veteran squads. Army builder tells me (rightly) that a DH army can’t ally in veterans. So my force isn’t legal.
Okay I’ve got some options, I can slap in a guard HQ and strip down my Inq lord and call it a Guard army with allied DH and it all becomes legal again, no problems. And I might well do that when I want to put the russ on the field, but. And heres the big but. I wanted a viable DH army.
Something about playing a guard army with flavour just doesn’t sit right.
So I’m investigating the idea of fleshing out my DH with some proxies for GK and GKT, I wont use the guys themselves because I want to keep the unique look of my army, and I want to maintain the colours and flavours, which means not throwing a lot of silver In there. I’ll start smallish, 1 gkt squad and 1 gk squad, and I’ll probably take them as FA so I can deep strike both and have them as reactive elements. I know it wont make up for the loss of a russ, but then, what will in a DH army.
Hrm, maybe a Dread :)
As for the conversions, I want to try and make them different, but still fairly wysywig, so the weapons will look like power/nemesis weapons, and the firearms will resemble either the archaic psycannon I already have on some of my inquisitors or a storm bolter of sorts. I wonder how I can make a storm bolter stand in, hrm.

Anyway enough rambling, I include also some “in action” shots from my last game vs Tau, a much closer match than many I’ve had with heavy losses on both sides.
The forces of the inquisition move into the deserted township


Where the vile tau lie in wait


Kroot mercenaries are spotted advincing through the woods


The inquisitor wastes no time is having troops deepstrike in to assist


The sight greatl;y heartens the Imperial guard levvies


The tau soon find themselves face to face with the forces of the imperium

3 comments:

  1. Love the black and white pics like they came from a camera on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the fold.

    Even though you didn't make it to GD, did you manage to get your mini's finished up????

    ReplyDelete
  3. ron, yeah that was the idea, it also nicely hides the fact that some of the buildings arent painted yet :)

    Rogue, the answer to that is "almost" I need to do a couple more highlight passes, what i really need is a local (Birmingham/staffordshire UK) small scale painting comp to enter my stuff into, to give me the impetus to finish.

    On the plus side, i did last night "mock-up" build a prototype for another unit for my DH army. i'll share him in the next day or two

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...